Re: Client Certificates - re-opening discussion

I agree that it makes the most sense from the client’s perspective to close the HTTP/2 connection and move entirely to HTTP/1 once the H1R response is received.

It’s kind of sad, because most applications that I’ve seen have just one resource that triggers the renegotiation (ours is called “login_with_certs.html”), and everything else is authorized by the cookie that is set by the response to that request. The HTTP/2 connection could be safely used for everything else on the site.

But there is no way for the browser to know that. And trying each resource with the HTTP/2 connection and optionally moving it to the HTTP/1 connection sounds like a really poor idea.

Yoav