Re: Client Certificates - re-opening discussion

> On 18 Sep 2015, at 18:45, Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 06:10:49PM -0400, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've talked about client certificates in HTTP/2 (and elsewhere)
>> for a while, but the discussion has stalled.
>>
>> If you have a proposal or thoughts that might become a proposal
>> in this area, please brush it off and be prepared. Of course, we
>> can discuss on-list in the meantime.
>
> Basically, the ways I know one could do client certs in HTTP/2 have
> both been floated before:
>
> 1) Signal about client cert being needed, client can establish
> new connection for the authenticated stuff.
>
> 2) Do client cert at HTTP level, using the usual HTTP authentication
> headers and TLS channel binding mechanisms[1] (but certificates
> themselves require some special handling, due to size[2]).
>

> [1] SPDY/3 did something like this, except with its own frame
> types.
>
> [2] Bit crazy idea: PUT with .well-known resource.

You mean: don't send the certificate, link to it on the web?
Then you are close to WebID-TLS
  http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/
WebID-TLS only published the public key, but one could
also publish the full certificate. ( people had suggested
that before, but we were waiting for larger use cases to
consider it )

The advanage following that pattern is you put the certificate
anywhere you like, not just in .well-known.

You can think of the WebID-profile document as a certificate
linked on the web. Then we are close to the WebID-RSA and
HTTP-signature proposals I mentioned earlier, but Mark pointed
out that its out of scope in this thread. I could open another
thread to discuss those when/if people are interested.

Henry

> -Ilari

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/