Re: Fwd: Re: TLS ALPN Proposal v3

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21 July 2015 at 17:52, Bradford Wetmore <bradford.wetmore@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>
> > 2.  Are you expecting clients/server to try non-blacklisted ciphersuites
> > first?  e.g. select H2 for ALPN, prioritize H2-appropriate suites first,
> > select a suite and hope for the best?

The client, by virtue of making the offer, will sometimes offer a set of
things that cannot be arbitrarily combined. It is on the server, making the
selection, to only select a compliant combination.

So a client could send (indeed probably will send) a client hello for tls
1.2 (which implies 1.2 or 1.0 are acceptable), and alpn offer of h1 and h2,
and both aes-gcm and rsa-rc4. There are totally legal responses that could
include all of those things, but not all combinations are legal responses.

It would be, minimally, impolite of a client to send things in the hello
that cannot be used in any combination - e.g. a 1.0 client hello with a h2
alpn.. I'm not sure if it would technically be a violation of h2 though if
h2 were never negotiated. That starts to get into whether or trees falling
in the forest make a sound..

> > 3.  If a ALPN of H2 is received along with a blacklisted suite, are
> clients
> > expected to provide their own fallback by opening a second connection
> with
> > H2 not in the ALPN list?
>
> I believe that Firefox will not do this.  It's a hard failure.

right. If the server selects h2 it needs to speak h2. That means not using
the black listed suites among many other requirements of 7540.