Re: dont-revalidate Cache-Control header

Hi Ben,

> On 11 Jul 2015, at 3:14 am, Ben Maurer <ben.maurer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 2) Create a new behavior that websites can opt in to. Ensure that UAs implement it consistently. This has less risk of breaking existing sites, though I understand the hesitance to have a header that says "no *REALLY* trust my expiration times". Perhaps the header is poorly advertising the functionality that we wish to achieve. A better name/behavior might be Cache-control: content-addressed. content-addressed would signal that the contents of the current URL is a pure function of the URL itself. IE, that the contents will never change. It would take priority over a max-age header and signal to the browser that the resource should be permanently cached.

This seems like the crux of the matter. A CC extension is one way to do this, but I wonder if a more appropriate place might be in HTML, since this is really about how the browser behaves in reaction to user input, not how the cache behaves.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/