Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-httpbis-tunnel-protocol

OK I understand.

seems like broken layering to me though.

For instance what do you do for foo over TLS over TLS... create fooss?
foo over SSH becomes foosh?

So to put a protocol over TLS you need to assign another registry entry?
  And if it can go over some other channel you need to register even
more?  I see problems with this approach.  Software won't be updated to
recognise these tokens.  So it will have to resort to sniffing if it
wants to do anything with the TLS layer (like protecting against bad
certs).

The design pattern where each layer identifies only the next layer is
very effective and elegant.  I don't know why we would want to move away
from that.

It's a misnomer to refer to ALPN as "next layer" negotiation then.
Maybe I'm being confused by NPN

Adrien