Re: HTTP/2 flow control <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-17>

Hi Bob - I think your comments are appreciated. Its just one of those
things where people have dispersed to other things and aren't necessarily
in a place to revisit all the ground work again at this stage for a new go
round. It was in large part the operational feedback and needs of the
google.com team, who has a lot of experience operating spdy at scale, that
created the flow control provisions. hopefully those folks will chime in
more authoritatively than my musings below:

I'm sure there is quite a bit to learn here - indeed poorly configured use
of the window_update mechanism has been (predictably) a source of
unintended bottlenecks during both spdy and h2 trials. The spec does try
and highlight that there can be dragons here and implementations that don't
need the features it can bring should provide essentially infinite credits
to steer clear of them.

During the various trials I've seen h2 per stream flow control deployed
successfully for a couple of use cases - both of them essentially deal with
unsolicited data.

The primary one is essentially a more flexible version of h1's
100-continue. When a client presents a large message body (e.g. a file
upload) a multiplexing server needs a way of saying "these are how many
buffers I've got available while I figure out where I'm going to sink this
incoming data (perhaps to another server I need to connect to)". Presenting
this on a per-stream basis allows the server to limit one stream while
another (with a distinct sink) can proceed independently.  IMO this value
should represent resources available and should be independent of BDP. This
is why in practice you see clients with extremely large stream windows -
most circumstances just want the data to flow at line rate (as you
describe) and aren't trying to invoke flow control. The firefox default
window is 256MB per stream - that's not going to slow down the sender nor
require frequent window_update generation.

The other use case is when the server pushes resources at a client without
them being requested, which is a new feature of h2. This is conceptually
similar to the server receiving a POST - suddenly there is a large amount
of inbound data that the implementation might not have the resources to
store completely. We can't just let TCP flow control take care of the
situation because the TCP session is being multiplexed between multiple
streams that need to be serviced. In this case the client accepts "some" of
the stream based on policy and resource availability and can leave the
stream in limbo until an event comes along that tells it to resume the
transfer by issuing credits or reject it via cancel.

hth a least a bit.