RE: HTTP/2 extensibility <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-17>

Mike,

At 18:22 05/03/2015, Mike Bishop wrote:
>Hi, Bob -
>
>Let me try to address a few of your points.  The logic behind
>"discard unknown" is precisely so that new frame types can be
>added.  If you receive a frame type that you know and can validate
>the length, then you're able to reject it as an improper length --
>but if it's a frame type you don't recognize, the length allows you
>to skip past it.

That's only an argument for having a length field. It doesn't justify
'discard unknown' any more than it justifies 'ignore unknown'. And it
doesn't justify hard-coding the predetermined valid length into the
implementation.

>So, just as you suggest, the worst case is to inject something that
>gets ignored.  There were concerns raised with forwarding frame
>types you don't understand, particularly when you consider a
>connection to an intermediary where different streams may be going
>to different servers on the back-end.  If the frames on different
>streams were related in some way, but you could only untangle the
>relation if you understood the frames, the eventual recipients would
>get fragmentary conversations.  (Think of a shared compression
>context across streams, for example.)

OK, that /is/ a valid argument for 'discard unknown' rather than
'forward unknown'.

But I suggested a solution to that; if it's unknown, there could be a
field in the frame that says whether to forward or discard it (aka.
late binding, like in IPv6 extension headers). Then:
* if a new frame type would be susceptible to inconsistency over
different paths, it can be flagged as 'discard unknown'.
* Otherwise it would be flagged as 'forward unknown'.
* And if we're not sure, we can play safe and flag it as 'discard
unknown' anyway.

Then you could keep the tightly consistent design you want today (by
setting discard unknown on all frame types), but you haven't
foreclosed on a 'forward unknown' frame type if you really need it in future.

During the design discussions, did anyone suggest this 'late binding' idea?

>For this reason, it was decided that extension frames should be
>hop-by-hop, but could be defined such that a recipient who
>understands the frame would relay it onto subsequent
>connections.  New extensions can define additional frames, and can
>define the processing of them.  That processing may include
>whether/how to forward them to the next hop, if you're an
>intermediary.  I would consider it good practice for any extension
>which defines frames to also define intermediary behavior, but the
>WG opted not to make that good practice a normative requirement.

There seems to be an assumption that implementers will add new
features even though they won't work e2e until everyone else has
implemented and deployed the same feature. That seems to overlook the
last two depressing decades of experience (at the transport layer) of
chicken-and-egg deployment incentives.

>It was also an explicit choice not to allow an endpoint to
>*unilaterally* change the definition of existing frames, because
>that leads to unknown behavior when you receive a known frame type
>of an unexpected length.  You don't know where the changes are, and
>whether fields still mean what you think they do.  However, the
>flexibility to modify rules by mutual agreement is the obvious way
>around that.  Define, as part of your extension, a setting that
>indicates your willingness to accept, say, an "opinion" string
>embedded in each SETTINGS ACK.  Upon receipt of that setting,
>someone who doesn't speak your extension ignores it and sends normal
>ACKs.  Someone who does speak your extension knows they can send you
>non-standard ACKs and you'll handle them appropriately without
>generating a FRAME_SIZE_ERROR.

Yes. So again, my concern is that the spec requires frames to be
discarded if they are of known type but unknown length; rather than
using the 'late-binding' idea, to be able to 'ignore but forward unknown'.

Bob

Bob Briscoe,                                                  BT