Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-auth-info

On 2015-02-11 11:10, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 11/02/2015 9:43 p.m., Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> Section 3 paragraph 3 says "
>>>    Intermediaries are not allowed to modify the field value in any way.
>>> "
>>>
>>> RFC 7235 uses wording in the form:
>>>     A proxy forwarding ... MUST NOT modify ...
>>>
>>> I believe the Authentication-Info should share both normative MUST NOT,
>>> and term "proxy" instead of intermediary. Since there are legitimate
>>
>> Right now the spec doesn't use any RFC 2119 terms, so if we do this,
>> we'd need to apply it in more places.

I'll track this separately as
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/52>.

>>> cases where gateways and/or other intermediaries may need to change it
>>> per the relevant auth scheme.
>>
>> Can you give an example?
>>

> 1) A gateway which is itself the client doing the authentication to the
> origin needs the ability to strip the header it caused to exist.
>
> 2) An ESI gateway transforming the payload from multiple transactions,
> only some of which are authenticated, or authenticated using different
> schemes. Needs the ability to filter which (if any) the client gets
> delivered.

Tracked as <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/50>;
proposed next text:

    A proxy forwarding a response is not allowed to modify the field
    value in any way.

(see
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/commit/e175586ede472946b1428bb355c3195b21cdf06b>).

Does this work for you, Amos?