Re: New Version Notification - draft-ietf-httpbis-header-compression-12.txt

Bjoern,

> On 18 Feb 2015, at 11:47 am, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> * Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>> On 18 Feb 2015, at 2:38 am, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> I still believe we should actually *fix* the table.
>>
>> As we discussed (but for the benefit of everyone else) -- we've already
>> talked about this extensively, and came to consensus that making such a
>> change would be more likely to cause problems, without making a material
>> improvement in the protocol.
>
> Do you have a reference for this conclusion? I do not really agree that
> we should ship a new protocol with known bugs for the short-term benefit
> of experimental implementations, and I would like to find out what I am
> missing. I also note that the text Julian quoted needs to be changed re-
> gardless of whether the table is "fixed".

The relevant issue is:
  https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/587

Note that was raised as a "non-blocking" issue -- i.e., even when it was raised, we acknowledged that it was only worth doing if other things were changing too.

Here was the resolution:
  http://www.w3.org/mid/E465C1C7-20DF-4F78-9936-9C914042920A@mnot.net

... and this is perhaps relevant context:
  http://www.w3.org/mid/B47FA4E6-6F91-44A1-8257-AE5086EF4DC1@mnot.net

Of interest may be the experiments Greg ran:
  http://www.w3.org/mid/CAH_y2NEfOXWRtEbO+uUCKroW+NPGtyjqxNan3p5G+uFzuxxnCA@mail.gmail.com
... which show that there is negligible change in efficiency when the static table is reduced or changed.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/