Re: Kathleen Moriarty's Discuss on draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc7238bis-02: (with DISCUSS)

I am really getting tired of this level of reasoning around use of TLS. It ONLY secures the communication path between the client that establishes and authenticates a secure connection and the server that terminates and decrypts that connection. It secures TCP/IP, not HTTP.

As a result, there are many ways in which https remains vulnerable to redirect attacks because TLS processing is not truly end to end and not always authenticated.

Furthermore, redirect attacks are not relevant to plain unsecured TCP because the content itself is unsecured. Hence, an attacker can just as easily supply content directly that is marked as cacheable, which is more effective than redirecting to a different site due to the same origin restrictions.

I suggest we stop filling the APPS area specifications with sales pitches for TLS. If you want to add "unsecured TCP is vulnerable to man in the middle attacks" in every spec, then just say that directly.

....Roy