Re: Transitioning from RFC2616ff to RFC7230ff

On 2015-02-03 13:54, Andreas Maier wrote:

> Hi,
> I am involved with a number of standards that use HTTP 1.1. We currently
> reference RFC2616 and related RFCs, and would like to upgrade to RFC7230
> and related RFCs.
>
> Is there any document that covers:
>
>     1.  which old RFC maps to which new RFC? (From what I can see, the
>        mapping is not or at least not always 1:1, that's why I'm asking...)
>        See an example for "old RFCS", below.

I'll try to answer that below.

>     2. which requirements targeting HTTP origin servers and HTTP user agents
>        are added or will change, when an implementation that currently
>        conforms to the old RFCs, wants to conform to the new RFCs?

Each of the new RFCs has a section called "Changes from RFC 2616"; these
are supposed to answer this.

> As one example for "old RFCs", here is the set of HTTP related RFCs that
>     are normatively referenced by one particular of our specifications:
>
>     IETF RFC2246, The TLS Protocol Version 1.0, January 1999,

The TLS RFCs are out of scope for this WG.

>     IETF RFC2616, Hypertext Transfer Protocol – HTTP/1.1, June 1999,

RFCs 7230, 7231, 7232, 7233, 7234. Commonly 7230 for the message format
bits, 7231 for the semantics (status codes, methods), 7234 for caching.

>     IETF RFC2617, HTTP Authentication: Basic and Digest Access
>     Authentication, June 1999,

RFC 7235 for the authentication *framework'; for the "Basic" and
"Digest" schemes there'll soon be new specs from the HTTPauth WG (see
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpauth/>).

>     IETF RFC2818, HTTP Over TLS, May 2000,

RFC 7230 updates some of 2818: "This specification also updates the use
of CONNECT to establish a tunnel, previously defined in RFC 2817, and
defines the "https" URI scheme that was described informally in RFC 2818."

>     IETF RFC4346, The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol, Version 1.1,
>     April 2006,
>     IETF RFC5246, The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol, Version 1.2,
>     August 2008,
>     IETF RFC6585, Additional HTTP Status Codes, April 2012,

These remain current (in general, to find the current definition of a
status code, consult the IANA registry at
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-status-codes/http-status-codes.xhtml>.

Hope this helps,

Julian