Re: Richard Barnes' Discuss on draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the review Richard,
>
> https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/pull/709

I <3 PRs for DISCUSS resolution.

> On 21 January 2015 at 22:14, Richard Barnes <rlb@ipv.sx> wrote:
> > (1) Section 3.2: "A server MUST ignore a "h2" token in an Upgrade header
> > field."
> > What is the reasoning behind this exclusion?  This seems to unnecessarily
> > rule out the use of TLS, especially given that the server can opt out by
> > choosing "h2c".
>
> I think that Mark explained this adequately.
>
> Your suggestion is one of the different startup variants that was
> considered and rejected.

OK, thanks.  That's what I needed.

> The conclusion being that there needs to be
> *exactly one* way start any given transport, regardless of scheme.
> (We can discuss why the prior knowledge thing remains, if you like.)
>
> Having the startup path vary based on scheme like that seems to invite
> the sort of layering confusion you want to avoid though.
>
> > (2) Figure 1 seems really confusing.  If the reader notices the phrase "9
> > octets of the frame header", he'll probably come to the right conclusion,
> > but it also seems likely that some readers will infer from the layout
> > that the header is 12 octets long, with the fields aligned to word
> > boundaries.  Just eliminating the header with the bit positions would
> > help a lot.  Likewise for the figures in Section 6.
>
> Fixed throughout.
>
> > (3) Section 9.1.1: "For "http" resources..."
> > This seems to imply that requests for "http" resources can only be
> > carried over bare TCP, which seems wrong given the presence of the
> > ":scheme" pseudo-header.  Proposed text:
> [...]
> > NEW: "For TCP connections without TLS, this depends on the host having
> > resolved to the same IP address."
>
> Sold.  No harm in anticipating future needs.
>
> > (4) Section 9.1.1: "For "https" resources..."
> > The salient requirement here is that the certificate provided by the
> > server MUST pass any checks that the client would have done if it were
> > initiating the connection afresh.  In addition to the name check here,
> > that would include things like HPKP.  Suggested text:
> >
> > OLD: "For "https" resources, connection reuse additionally depends on
> > having a certificate that is valid for the host in the URI."
> > NEW: "For "https" resources, connection reuse additionally depends on
> > having a certificate that is valid for the host in the URI.  The
> > certificate presented by the server MUST satisfy any checks that the
> > client would perform when forming a new TLS connection for the host in
> > the URI (e.g. HPKP checks [HPKP])."
>
> Yes, though I dropped the HPKP reference.  I considered adding a 2818
> or 6125 reference, but decided to avoid both and also avoid implying
> too narrow a scope for the checks.
>
> > (5) Section 10.4: "Pushed responses for which an origin server is not
> > authoritative (see Section 10.1) are never cached or used."
> > This seems like a rather important point, for which I can't find any
> > normative text.  It seems like in Section 8.2.1, the client should be
> > REQUIRED to verify that the ":authority" field in the PUSH_PROMISE
> > contains a value for which the client would have been willing to re-use
> > the connection (as specified in Section 9.1).
>
> MUST-ied.  As in
> - <xref target="authority"/>) are never cached or used.
> + <xref target="authority"/>) MUST NOT be used or cached.

This still seems like burying the lede.  How about the proposed change in
8.2.1?  It seems like the point that the server must be authoritative is
important enough to put up front.  This seems like it's pretty parallel to
the checks on ":method", so borrowing text from that:

"The server MUST include a value in the ":authority" header field for which
the server is authoritative (see Section 10.1).  If a client receives
a PUSH_PROMISE for a resource for which the server is not authoritative, it
MUST respond with a stream error (Section 5.4.2) of type PROTOCOL_ERROR."

(Or maybe STREAM_REFUSED?  Since these requests should not be processed at
all by the client.)