Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16.txt> (Hypertext Transfer Protocol version 2) to Proposed Standard

On 2015-01-12 06:24, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>> If you can't think of a concrete action to take based on this
>>> setting, I would ignore it.
>>
>> Do we have any implementations that actually do something with
>> this setting?
>
> Squid is. The combination of CONTINUATION frame and dense HPACK
> compression allows senders to allocate a headers block up past the GB
> *per message* size ranges. Hardware that comes with TB of RAM is
> pretty scarce still.

OK, do you we have *client* implementations doing something with it.

Let's assume a UA constructs the message and it has 8K of headers, but
the server has indicated it only takes 4K. What is the UA supposed to do?

a) Fail the operation immediately?
b) Send the request anyway?
c) Try to do something to reduce size?

Best regards, Julian