Re: comments about draft-ietf-httpbis-header-compression

The intent was to make a compressor that was difficult to get wrong from a
security perspective, whose implementation was reasonably easy for good
programmers, and which did good-enough compression.

Your statement about zlib being 'as safe' misses the mark. zlib has more
capabilities, which include things which are known to be unsafe. More
capabilities most usually means less safe. Adding bits in the manner you
suggested doesn't work-- it requires the attacker to do more requests to
determine if what it did was right and this is linear, not exponential.
Even if that wasn't true, you're adding bits (and a fair number of them),
which defeats the purpose of compression.

Non-static entropy coding also leads to non-exponential searches of the
input space if the attacker is allowed to influence the entropy coding.
That is why HPACK doesn't do non-static entropy coding. It uses a canonical
huffman format so that it would be possible to do "non static", though I
envisioned that this would only happen before request bits were sent, e.g.
in the ALPN token.

HPACK offers a means of not doing entropy coding, so if it gets out of
date, either the dictionary gets rev'd (e.g. at startup as described
above), or one chooses to not use it. This is described in section 5.2.

-=R