Re: NEW PREFERENCE - vtimezone

Hi Amos,

--On June 20, 2015 at 12:16:47 PM +1200 Amos Jeffries
<squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> This is not about the existing application/xml mime type. Martin is
> suggesting a new mime type. Such as application/xml+vtimestamp.
>
> The client would send the HTTP header Accept:*/xml+vtimestamp,*/xml and
> the server return application/xml+vtimestamp where the XML has embeded
> vtimestamps.

That is not very practical in this case as we have three iCalendar media
types (text/calendar, application/calendar+xml, application/calendar+json)
in addition to the application/xml.

> Another way to look at whether Prefer is appropriate is - what can HTTP
> proxies or HTTP servers that support Prefer but not WebDAV do to meet
> the preference ?
>
> In this case there is nothing. Since payload manipulation requires
> WebDAV XML format knowledge.

The Prefer spec says this:

   The Prefer header field is end to end and MUST be forwarded by a
   proxy if the request is forwarded unless Prefer is explicitly
   identified as being hop by hop using the Connection header field
   defined by [RFC7230], Section 6.1.

Which implies that an end-to-end preference is just as valid a use case as
a one where the proxy can intervene.

--
Cyrus Daboo