Re: alpn identifiers (not again!)

On 9 June 2015 at 10:39, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:
> Now, if I want to advertise that clients may connect via DTLS or maybe ssh to an endpoint that talks h2 (or h1 with upgrade), one would need a new ALPN identifier. Ok. But that id will never be meaningful in ALPN.

Right.  Though it might be used in ALPN.  Say that HTTP/3 runs over
DTLS.  That does ALPN.

Or maybe there is a new protocol that decides to negotiate protocols
using exactly the same mechanism and identifiers as ALPN, just not in
TLS.  Is that ALPN?

> That gives me the feeling that something is not right.
> All that is specified will work. I am just looking for a way to do this better.

Sure.  I understand.  Sometimes, to make a specification, you have to
break some abstractions.