Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-tunnel-protocol-04, "2.2 Syntax"

On 2015-05-31 09:30, Christer Holmberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I commented on the ABNF as part of my Gen-ART review of the draft, and in my opinion the correct syntax is:
>
>  ALPN = "ALPN":" protocol-id *(COMMA protocol-id)

No, that wouldn't properly define where whitespace is allowed. Also, it
would conflate parsing stages: HTTP message vs field values. Finally, it
wouldn't handle the special rules related to comma-separated lists in
field values.

In our recent specs we thus:

1) Only define the field *value*'s ABNF, and

2) Use an ABNF extension for list productions.

And yes, that needs to be made clearer; the spec currently says:

"The ABNF (Augmented Backus-Naur Form) syntax for the ALPN header field
is given below. It is based on the Generic Grammar defined in Section 2
of [RFC7230]."

This needs to say something like

"The ABNF (Augmented Backus-Naur Form) syntax for the ALPN header field
value is given below. It uses the syntax defined in Section 1.2 of
[RFC7230]."

Best regards, Julian