Re: Partial header indexing in HPACK?

On 29 May 2015 at 14:01, Brendan Long <B.Long@cablelabs.com> wrote:
> I’m wondering if there’s any way to partially index a header, or if this is
> something the IETF would consider looking at.

This was considered as part of the HTTP/2 (HPACK) design process and
the conclusion was that there were some non-trivial security concerns
resulting from any scheme that could compress parts of header fields.
That combined with a strong desire to minimize the complexity of HPACK
meant that this didn't make the cut.

Without thinking about the security problem too hard, something like
what you describe might be made to work, maybe.  But at this point we
have no way of changing the protocol.