Re: alt-svc issue 43: ALPN identifiers in Alt-Svc

On 2015-04-30 17:23, Hervé Ruellan wrote:

> On 04/30/2015 04:43 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> (see <https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/43>)
>>
>> > ALPN identifiers from the ALPN spec have been defined in the context
>> > of negotiating the application protocol in TLS. In this context, they
>> > imply a layering above TLS.
>> > When used outside this context, there is an ambiguity, mainly for the
>> > http/1.1 token: does it refer to HTTP/1.1 over TLS, or can it refer
>> > also to HTTP/1.1 over TCP?
>> > The draft should resolve this ambiguity by stating that the http/1.1
>> > identifier is used to identify HTTP/1.1 over TLS.
>>
>> Right now we do not mention "http/1.1" at all. Should that change?
> I think we should remove the ambiguity to make clear that http/1.1 is
> over TLS.

Looking at
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-extensiontype-values/tls-extensiontype-values.xhtml#alpn-protocol-ids>,
only "h2c" is marked as non-TLS.

Somewhere does the confusion come from, and what does it have to do with
alt-svc right now? Is the idea to put this into alt-svc because we
happen to process this doc right now, and it is somewhat related?

(I'm fine with that, but I'd like to fully understand what's going on)

>> > In addition, a new identifier, h1c for example, could be defined to
>> > identify HTTP/1.1 over cleartext TCP, in order to allow using Alt-Svc
>> > to be used to target an HTTP/1.1 server over cleartext TCP.
>>
>> Is this a use case we want to address?
> I think there is a general sense that we should not define such an
> identifier to instead promote the usage of TLS.
>>
>> Best regards, Julian
>>
> Best regards,
>
> Hervé

Best regards, Julian