Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7231 (4351)

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 03:48:31PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> REJECT
>
> This was discussed extensively by the working group during the drafting
> process.  The specification is correct.  Any application data sent after
> the response is AFTER the response -- it is not part of the response body.
>
> Sending either of the two header fields that would imply a response body
> is a known interop failure, and thus MUST NOT be sent.  The fact that
> some broken implementations are non-interoperable does not change the
> requirement for interop.

This isn't about the MUST NOT send requirement.  It's about the MUST
ignore requirement on clients.

Ignoring the Content-Length has the side-effect (which I assume was
intentional, but I wanted a clarification for it) that the 2xx CONNECT
response body is treated as application data.  Why ignore that which
must not be sent, and why ignore it if processing it and then treating
the response body as application data... has the same effect?

Nico