Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7231 (4351)

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 01:20:54PM -0700, RFC Errata System wrote:
> Corrected Text
> --------------
>    Historically no semantics have been defined for request and 2xx
>    (Successful) response bodies for CONNECT, but nonetheless some clients
>    and some servers do use request and 2xx response bodies.
>
>    Servers MUST NOT send a response body in a 2xx (Successful) response
>    to CONNECT.  Because some proxies send an initial flight of tunneled
>    application data in 2xx response bodies, clients MUST accept response
>    bodies in 2xx responses to CONNECT, and MUST treat the response body
>    as the initial flight of application data.
>
>    Servers that receive a CONNECT request body SHOULD treat it as the
>    initial flight of tunneled application data.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think what we should want to do is a)
relax the MUST NOT as to Content-Length (for clients and servers), b)
insist on the identity Transfer-Encoding (MUST NOT send
Transfer-Encoding) and explain why (clients exist that won't interop
otherwise), c) explain the intent (2xx CONNECT response bodies are
tunneled application data) and let client implementors decide if
ignoring Content-Length is the best way to get that effect.

Nico