Re: Proposed HTTP SEARCH method update

> On 10 Apr 2015, at 18:00, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Please see: http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-snell-search-method/
>
> Comments welcome.

[[
  The payload returned in response to a SEARCH cannot be
  assumed to be a representation of the resource identified by the
  effective request URI.
]]

I think that should rather be

[[
  The payload returned in response to a SEARCH is a partial
  representation of the resource identified by the effective
  request URI.
]]

The way I think one has to understand SEARCH is in the context of the
other the two other HTTP verbs:

- GET: returns a representation of the effective request URI
- PUT: changes the representation of the effective request URI to the new representation

then SEARCH is like PATCH just a way of efficiently doing GET and PUT

- SEARCH: allows on to get a part of the full representation of the request URI ( using whatever is the
 most appropriate query language )
- PATCH: allows one to replace part of the representation of the request URI

It may be that by making this clear in the document it becomes easier for reviewers
to understand that of course this does not require a representation to be specified, the
same way that the GET verb does not require one.

Also I am not sure what in 4.2 you mean by a ""SPAQRL query.

Henry

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/