Re: [Moderator Action] Range Responses of Indeterminate Length: Draft

Yup; we use that for some platforms, but not all devices support it, and it limits us to the codecs supported by MPEG-TS (or that the platform supports in it). We use MPEG-DASH on some platforms, but it has similar issues. Both also require either knowledge of the segment durations beforehand (here, before they're generated), or the ability to force them to be consistent (which is impractical if remuxing streams a user's existing video files), though HLS implementations tend to be a fair bit more forgiving on this point than DASH ones. When it's possible, we've found that a single live-generated MKV file streamed over chunked HTTP is both compatible with a very wide variety of codecs, and very flexible about the sizes of a stream's GoPs and the like.

One thing I've had success in some experiments with lately is writing the MKV header to a single file, writing individual segments to separate files, and keeping track of their start timestamps. Then, when a request comes in for time T, I can return the header concatenated to the segment with the greatest start time <= T, and all segments after it. This approach is somewhat similar to how MPEG-DASH works, but with the work of preparing a fully-valid MKV file handled by the server instead of the client. The downside is that implementations often refuse to make any kind of seek in a resource that doesn't support range requests (and you can't properly support them when the content length is unknown), so I end up limited to seeks to the nearest on-server chunk boundary.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I hope this provides some insight into the complex issues involved in my use-case.

(Oh, and yes, you can use HLS without foreknowledge of segment durations for live streams, but not if you intend to present the media as a fully-seekable VOD stream... which we like doing when possible, as it means less work for the client to handle when seeking)