Re: 2 questions

I understand there are still certain places that encryption itself is too expensive to use like microcontrollers, but that does not mean they cannot stick to existing plaintext HTTP/1.1

For those microcontrollers using HTTP/2 would actually introduce more state (aka memory use) and given the compatibility requirement of HTTP/2 they would also have to include a minimal HTTP/1.1 support (aka code size) so ion;t think HTTP/2 would be appropriate for those applications anyway. For pretty much all other applications TLS won’t be expensive at all, according to what I know.

So maybe if Let’s Encrypt is a success we can mark plain HTTP/2 as deprecated after all, since it bring no benefit either way.