Re: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC7230 (4205)

On Dec 23, 2014, at 6:16 AM, RFC Errata System wrote:

> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7230,
> "Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Message Syntax and Routing".
>
> --------------------------------------
> You may review the report below and at:
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7230&eid=4205
>
> --------------------------------------
> Type: Editorial
> Reported by: Semyon Kholodnov <joker.vd@gmail.com>
>
> Section: 6.3
>
> Original Text
> -------------
>   o  If the received protocol is HTTP/1.0, the "keep-alive" connection
>      option is present, the recipient is not a proxy, and the recipient
>      wishes to honor the HTTP/1.0 "keep-alive" mechanism, the
>      connection will persist after the current response; otherwise,
>
> Corrected Text
> --------------
>   o  If the received protocol is HTTP/1.0, the "keep-alive" connection
>      option is present, either the recipient is not a proxy or the
>      message is a response, and the recipient wishes to honor the
>      HTTP/1.0 "keep-alive" mechanism, the connection will persist after
>      the current response; otherwise,
>
> Notes
> -----
> This bullet is clearly intended to be there to introduce "A proxy server MUST NOT maintain a persistent connection with an HTTP/1.0 client" requirement later in the text; however, as it's worded, it technically also prohibits HTTP/1.1-proxies to maintain a persistent connection with an HTTP/1.0 *server*.

Verified as editorial.  The corrected text should be

  o  If the received protocol is HTTP/1.0, the "keep-alive" connection
     option is present in a message that is not a request to a proxy,
     and the recipient wishes to honor the HTTP/1.0 "keep-alive" mechanism,
     the connection will persist after the current response; otherwise,

Thanks for the report.  I don't consider this a significant issue because
it is just talking about when a connection can be expected to remain
persistent, whereas the actual requirements on when a connection must be
closed are specified elsewhere.

....Roy