Re: Reviving discussion on error code 451

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:

> Is there a recommended action that a client would programmatically take?
> Absent such an action what is the benefit over a 404?   Is the intent to
> route around the failure?

There are a variety of things a client could do, ranging from styles of
visual display to looking for alternate paths to the desired resource. Also
it depends what kind of client you’re talking about; I’m more interested in
the applications for robot/crawler style clients.

But I think that’s perhaps the wrong question to be asking.  We have heard
it asserted by several parties that they would like to have a standardized
way to report the status when legal demands force them to deny access to a
resource.  I’m not sure it’s appropriate for us to tell them that they
shouldn’t want this.  And I think that unless it damages the Internet, in
general we should strive to give service providers what they want.
​​
--
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)