Re: Pushing 304's

On 29 November 2014 at 00:39, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> Maybe what needs to be pushed is something else? Such as a response to an
> unconditional HEAD request? Wouldn't that be sufficient for the client to
> decide whether it needs to revalidate?

That certainly communicates the semantics required and would be easy for
the server to generate (modulo the wasted effort of some content generators
that will generate and discard content anyway... but then they probably
also ignore conditional headers).

But I'll defer to the cache/browser developers to say if it is a suitable
form for them to use - as their caches are complex beasties.

Note that I think the current spec allows HEAD responses to be pushed
already, but it is a little non intuitive, so perhaps we need some text in
6.6 to highlight this use-case

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*