Re: HTTP/2 and Websockets

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 1:05 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 25 November 2014 at 04:28, Yutaka Hirano <yhirano@google.com> wrote:
>>> a) rewriting intermediaries MUST read HEADERS
>>> b) if they see an UPGRADE header they do not know how to deal with, they
>>> must kill the stream
>>> This also covers "upgrade xxx-123" case for http2.
>>
>> We could ask for it, but I'm not sure if giving a special meaning for
>> "rewriting" is suitable from http/2 point of view and it is suitable to
>> request at this moment, given that http/2 is almost stabilized (not?).
>> cc: Martin.
>> We had a discussion about the capability check and agreed to use SETTINGS
>> frames.
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2014JulSep/1114.html
>
> I don't see how Andy's request is feasible.  The way HTTP/2 is
> structured, intermediaries are permitted to collapse and re-assemble
> DATA as they choose.  You cannot rely on frame boundaries to remain.

What is the benefit to preventing reframing? The negative of such a restriction is that intermediaries will be unable to utilize their knowledge of their network topology to improve performance.

Is it to prevent delays from overly coalescing messages? If so a simple urgency flag or could accomplish the same thing.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat