Re: #645: Privacy impact of connection coalescing

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:19 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 20 November 2014 17:28, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> > <https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/pull/647>
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I like the correlation text, that's a real issue.

agreed - the term origin might be stronger than 'site' as currently used.

> I'm lukewarm on the value of the SETTINGS/PING thing.  TCP window
> scaling relies on knowing RTT, so another way of measuring it in a

h2 bits are e2e while TCP might not be thanks to CONNECT tunnels. I'm sure
you could game it through some kind of flow control back pressure
observation, but its not trivial.. tls has stuff to latch onto, but it can
be padded by concerned parties.. so I think its harmless and marginally
worthwhile to call out the issue with roughly the suggested text.

It might be stronger with 'peer' instead of client. Sometimes servers are
hiding - geographically speaking, and settings and ping are bi-di
mechanisms.