Re: IAB Statement on Internet Confidentiality

On 20 November 2014 15:24, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

> ​​
>>  Encrypting  is not going to help with any of these problems
>> ​
>>

> ​Yes, it will *help*. No, it will not ​*solve* them, and solving them is
> important, but providing help now is a good thing to do.  Every layer of
> privacy technology drives attacker costs up and makes certain attacks
> non-economic.  I for one am not willing to put improvements on hold for
> years while we strive for the perfect at the expense of the good.

Tim,

if the problem is to make users regain trust that their private data is
safe, then anything that *not solves* the problem while trying to appear to
actually makes the trust problem worse.

So I'm totally fine with saying "Use TLS because it will protect you from
revealing your passwords, bank accounts, and other data you send to anybody
but the server (who we assume you trust with all that stuff)".

I'm not fine with saying "Use TLS because it will protect your privacy when
using the internet".

To be blunt, many if not most privacy concerns come from either end of the
connection: either somebody sending you a convincing Phish or the server
does something they should have with your data.   Many of the man in the
middle privacy attacks work on just meta data.

So by all means, let's use encryption and encourage its use.  But let's not
pretend it provides anything more than encryption - which is neither
privacy nor trust.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*