Re: IAB Statement on Internet Confidentiality

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 02:12:54PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <D090FFCB.1C641%thomas.fossati@alcatel-lucent.com>, "FOSSATI, Thomas
>  (Thomas)" writes:
>
> >However, I read the last paragraph of the IAB "statement on Internet
> >Confidentiality" with a grain of optimism: "[...] IAB will work with those
> >affected to foster development of new approaches for these activities
> >which allow us to move to an Internet where traffic is confidential by
> >default."
>
> I think there is a fine detail buried there which many people will
> overlook:  Confidentiality is not the same as privacy.

Good point, and regarding this, a TLS-encrypted connection from the
browser to the local proxy provides much more privacy than end-to-end
encryption which provides better confidentiality but yells destination
IP address and SNI all over the local network so that all my coworkers
know in realtime with a good accuracy what web site I'm currently
visiting!

Willy