Re: Unified User-Agent String (draft-karcz-uuas)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 23:54:28 +0100, Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se> wrote:

> While an interesting exercise, do you have any HTTP client/browser
> authors backing up this idea and syntax?
>
> This seems like a futile effort to me with little hope of adaption. I'm
> the author of a HTTP client using the simplest possible User-agent but
> I'm also fully aware of how often users have to mimic popular browsers'
> user-agent strings to make servers respond appropriately.
>
> There's a lot of pain and many side-effects in doing even minor
> modifications of the user-agent string.

On the apps-discuss list it was stated that all major browsers already
conformed to this specification, which makes it easy to conform to, but
also a bit pointless.

If we could get agreement on a single user-agent string and have all
browsers move to that one at the same time, that would be a standard I
would be enthusiastic to endorse. An agreement in a secret back room would
do just as fine as a standard I suppose...

/Martin Nilsson