Re: #642: Allowing PRIORITY on streams in any any state. [was: Concerns about HTTP/2 Priority]

On 5 November 2014 18:48, Shigeki Ohtsu <ohtsu@iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> Can't we use just HEADERS with a priority flag and no header block as a
> group anchor
>  instead of using PRIORITY for an idle stream?

I'm concerned that will result in problems for servers.   There will
always be a header block, but it will just be empty.  If there are
missing header fields, then the server will reject the "request".

> This might work since the reference sets has gone and a stream timeout is
> not defined yet in the current spec.
>
> I'm worrying about the idle stream in the priority tree is out of
> SETTINGS_MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS.

There is already a need to maintain priority information that is
independent of the concurrent stream limit and to have nodes in the
tree that are not active.  See
http://http2.github.io/http2-spec/#priority-gc  This just makes that a
little bit more flexible.