Re: Requiring TLS 1.3 as alternative to HTTP/2 section 9.2.2

Is there an operational approach we can take that gets us to the right
place eventually
(or at least within a reasonable time-frame)?

For example, if servers SHOULD NOT negotiate h2 via ALPN over anything
below TLS 1.3
starting a year after TLS 1.3 reaches a particular status?   This would
presumably need
to be an expectation set now, followed by an action by UTA or similar in a
year or so from now?
This unfortunately still leaves the onus on the server-side since the
client-side doesn't
have a way to specify the allowed protocol versions in the ALPN message.

What would be the impact on HTTP/2 client implementers if they knew that
clients would start falling back to HTTP/1.1 if they didn't incorporate TLS
1.3
support within some time window after it was available?

Another option might be to add an ALPN token for h2-requiring-tls-1.3
that would be added in by client implementations when they add TLS/1.3
support
with h2-15 or whatever it is being dropped at some point subsequently?

I'd like to see us move in the right direction, but I agree with Yoav and
others
that it would be unfortunate to introduce interop issues that result in
connection
failures.  The ordering of HTTP/2 and TLS 1.3 is backwards from an ideal
world
for this, but it seems like it might be better to try and aim for something
that gets
us into a good state 18 months out from now if it means reduced complexity
in both the short-term and the long-term.  The cost seems to be that the
initial
HTTP/2 implementations may start falling back if not updated within some
time period.

     Erik