Re: Concluding discussion on #612 (9.2.2)

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com> wrote:

> This PR is a proposal for 3).   I would look at it as penalising servers
> that do

not accept strong ciphers rather than as penalising clients that offer h2.

But the problem is that those servers already exist and so the variable
behavior
is what clients do. I don't want to speak for Patrick, but I would be
surprised
if Mozilla were willing to make a change to Firefox that would cause an
extra
set of round trips for a large fraction of the Web servers in the world.

> if the client and the server disagree about which ciphers are
>> acceptable for H2 (and specifically if the server likes some cipher for
>> H2 that the client does not) then you get a successful TLS connection
>> but the H2 stack generates an error. At this point, the client could retry
>> if it wished.
>>

> That was my very first suggestion way way back at the start of this whole
> thread.
> It was unacceptable but I can't recall why.

I don't recall this discussion, but in any case your current proposal seems
less
good for the reasons I laid out.

-Ekr