Re: Concluding discussion on #612 (9.2.2)

On 7 October 2014 16:57, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Greg, you made quite a few proposals -- did I miss any others, or do you
> want to selectively nominate one or more of them for consideration?

If we really have to enforce TLS acceptability in the application protocol,
then we need to do so with a robust handshake.   Thus I would like to leave
aside my arguments about the need for TLS restrictions and expand on one of
my proposals to a concrete pull request.

I will write a pull request tomorrow, but the basic approach will be to
replace the text:

Clients MAY advertise support of cipher suites that are prohibited by
the above restrictions in order to allow for connection to servers
that do not support HTTP/2.This enables a fallback to protocols
without these constraints without the additional latency imposed by
using a separate connection for fallback.

With something along the lines of

Clients MUST NOT advertise support of cipher suites that are prohibited by
the above restrictions if they advertise support for HTTP/2.  If a connection
is refused due to lack of a mutually acceptable cipher a client MAY retry the
connection with weaker ciphers, but it MUST NOT offer support HTTP/2.

The intent of this is to make the success/failure of the handshake
independent of the definition of 'h2 acceptable cipher'.  While 9.2.2 might
be considered well defined now, I doubt it will remain so when confronted
with reality and the future.   H2 acceptability is and will be a matter of
configuration. Configurations will be deliberately or unintentionally non
9.2.2 compliant and the protocol should handle such configurations
gracefully.

The handshake must succeed IFF there is a mutually acceptable
protocol/cipher pair and it must never fail with inadequate security if
there is a mutually acceptable protocol/cipher pair.

I will spend some time tomorrow to develop this into a pull request with
more precise wording.

If we have a robust handshake, then I'm happy to leave it to people more
qualified than I am to debate what ciphers are acceptable and who should
say so.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>