Re: null ciphers in 9.2.2

On 6 October 2014 10:45, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> That’s by design. Nothing stops someone from explicitly configuring a pair
> of endpoints to violate the protocol for testing purposes:

There is something stopping that.  We have a fragile handshake that will
definitely break if 9.2.2 is implemented by configuration. 9.2.2 is hard
coded in FF and the discussion here has been very much that implementations
should check cipher properties. So there is no "Configuring" of 9.2.2
non-compliance,   you might configure in a null/weak cipher, but the hard
coded isAEAD() will reject it for h2 purposes.

You cannot simultaneously argue that deployers can configure their
endpoints however they like for their special needs AND that the fragile
handshake will never break because there will never be  differing
interpretations of 9.2.2

So I remain in the can't live with it camp for 9.2.2.   I cannot live with
a deliberately fragile and inflexible design.       Jetty will not be
implementing this (not that we have the option as the APIs do not exist for
us to do so).

regards

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>