Re: SETTINGS frame - not documented as peer-to-peer only

From: Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 08:09:18 +1000
To: Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net>

Robert Collins wrote:

> It also raises questions in my mind about SETTINGS_ENABLE_PUSH
>
> Given
>
> Client1
> Client2
> Proxy
> Server
>
> If client1 has SETTINGS_ENABLE_PUSH=1, and client2 has
> SETTINGS_ENABLE_PUSH=0, the Proxy has SETTINGS_ENABLE_PUSH=1, then the
> server may push resources for both clients, and the proxy will have to
> cancel streams when they are for client2 ?

This is exactly this issue that I raised last week[1], although I was
talking about the case when you are using a HTTP2 load balancer that
also has HTTP 1 clients, although the same issue arrises when you have
HTTP2 clients with push disabled. I raised an issue[2] but apparently it
is too late to do anything about it.

Stuart

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2014JulSep/2374.html
[2] https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/621