Re: Discussion of 9.2.2

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:05:16AM -0700, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think this indicates that the wording of 9.2.2 is indeed causing
> > confusion and has actually created wrong implementations.   In FF the 9.2.2
> > test is currently implemented as:
> >
> >    isAEAD()
> >
> > when it should be:
> >
> >    !isBlock() && !isStream()
> >
> > The former is a interoperability problem for future acceptable non AEAD
> > ciphers, while the later is not.
> >

> Trying to think this through....
>
> Isn't that only true if we add a new non-AEAD ciphersuite in NSS and then
> forget
> to update the code in Firefox?

Nope. Somebody WILL dynamically link the TLS librariesif the platform
supports dynamic linkage at all (and most non-constrained stuff does).

And even if stock Firefox statically links NSS, there is at least one
rebranded one (checked the memory map) that dynamically links system
NSS (hello version skew!).

-Ilari