Re: Discussion of 9.2.2

Mark,

I am just incredulous that the position adopted appears to be that we know
the fragile handshake will not break in the future because we know how
ciphers will evolve and be deployed in the future.

If the defence of the status quo was not based on such weak foundations or
less intolerant of any change, then perhaps we'd burn less cycles.

the fundamental issue as I see it is that we have designed a fragile
handshake, that if implementations have slightly different interpretations
of 9.2.2 results in communications failure. This was discovered by a real
interop problem albeit from a very poor implementation of 9.2.2 on my
behalf.

So aside from the social argument of should we be doing this or not, I fail
to understand why this WG is rejecting the valid feedback that the
handshake is fragile.     Arguments that are based on predictions of the
evolutions of ciphers for the next few decades to combat the fragility of
the handshake are themselves fragile - no matter how smart the people are
who are making them.

regards

Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>