Re: 303 for paging; was Re: 2NN Contents Of Related (303 Shortcut)

On 09/07/2014 10:48 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On 8/09/2014 7:59 a.m., Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> On 09/07/2014 01:30 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>> No, you are assuming it is a book.

>>> Then that resource is more than just a book. It provides views of
>>> the resource state, which is no more or less than what content
>>> negotiation provides in HTTP.

>>> The server can respond however they like. It is only the
>>> consistency of those responses that defines what the resource
>>> might be, to any extent that matters.
>>>
>> Okay, thanks for the explanation.
>>
>> I don't see this leading to 303 being wrong, though.   Isn't it up
>> to us (the group defining how LDP servers behave when answering for
>> LDP resources) to define whether LDP resources can or cannot be
>> represented by subset pages of it?
>>
>> So far, we've said the representations of these resources
>> (technically LDP RDF Sources) are RDF serializations of all the
>> triples which comprise the state of the resource.   (There's one
>> exception, where certain redundant triples can be omitted when the
>> client sends the appropriate Prefer header.)
>>
>> I hear you saying we wouldn't be violating any HTTP specs by
>> saying, "Actually the representation could be subsets of that graph
>> state."
>>
>> But I don't see anything mandating that approach either.   My
>> understanding is RDF software is pretty much always written with
>> the assumption that the representation will include a serialization
>> of every triple.   I think we'd prefer to align this work with that
>> community practice.

>>> But the first URI is not a book. You cannot define it as one
>>> thing and then say its behavior doesn't fit that definition. It
>>> is not that thing.

>>> No, I am saying that the responses define the resource, not the
>>> other way around. If you have distinct URIs with decidedly
>>> different behavior, like your chapters, then they are of course
>>> distinct resources. So is the resource that always responds with
>>> a complete book. It is defined by what it does.
>>>
>> Right, that's our model.   We have resource like books, and we
>> have resources like chapters.   We think of them as distinct types
>> of things, and define specific behaviors for each of them, include
>> headers they provide to indicate what they are, and restrictions on
>> how they respond to GET, POST, etc.
>
> What you have is actually a "book with chapters" resource.
>
> You can think of them as diffferent things, but they are coming from
> the same resource data which makes them only representations of one
> resource.

It's common to have many URIs for resources all coming from the same
database, of course.

>> We expect that sometimes some "books" will get to be quite large
>> (many GB).  So we want the servers to be able to respond to a naive
>> GET on a "book" with a 303 to the first chapter.   If it tried to
>> stream the whole thing, we expect we'd have real problems.   We
>> encourage clients to say what max response size they want; servers
>> should use that information and send the biggest size they and the
>> client are okay with.
>>
>> Do you see any problem with that use of 303?    I hope not.
> 303 is saying "dont fetch this book A", fetch "book B instead".
> Directing the client at a whole different "book" resource - not a
> "chapter".

Why can't it redirect to a chapter?

> What you are trying to achieve with 2NN is respond "here is chapter 1
> of book A". That is done with existing HTTP in either of two ways:
>
>   1) by client requesting URI "/bookA" with Accept-Ranges:chapter and
> server responding with 206, Range:chapter=1, and payload for that chapter.

I'm not familiar with why we rejected the Range design.   I'll let
someone else answer with that, and/or look into it shortly.

>   2) by server emitting 303 to URI "/bookA?chapter=1".
>     then client re-requesting "/bookA?chapter=1"

That is in fact our primary mechanism.    But in one recent email, Roy
said that wasn't okay.  So part of this thread is to confirm actually
that protocol is okay.

> #1 allows the amount of ranges replied by the server to adapt
> depending on size or bandwidth available. It is quite powerful.

(will reply separately, as above)
> #2 signals that this book A may *only* be fetched chapter at a time,
> beginning with 1. Fetching the /bookA without a chapter indicated is
> "wrong" for this resource so try again with the chapter part.

Why are you being so restrictive?

What exactly would stop a client from doing a HEAD on /bookA and looking
for rel=last if it wants to do reverse traversal?

What exactly would stop a server from providing /bookA instead of the
redirect, if the clients gives different Prefer headers (with preferred
sizes), or maybe the server load goes down?

> To cover both clients who participate in #1 and clients who dont, both
> methods should be implemented by the server. So clients not sending
> the conneg Accept-Ranges:chapter header can get the 303 with a
> Vary:Accept-Ranges on the server responses.

Agreed that we need to have the 303 mechanism in place for clients that
don't know to ask for paging/ranges themselves.   That's in our paging spec.

>> The one problem we see is that it's an extra roundtrip.    One
>> could argue so what, but our application developers seem to care,
>> so thus the idea of a 2NN which has the semantics of bundling the
>> 303  and a subsequent 200 into one round-trip.
>>
> It is only one extra round trip for old/legacy clients who do not
> advertise range conneg to use option #1 above. These are the same ones
> which will also not support your new 2NN status properly. They can be
> just as easily updated to support Range conneg as to support 2NN, and
> Range does not loose any caching benefits.

Yes, if Range worked that would be great.   We'll check again on that.

>> As you've pointed out, this wont be able to use existing caches,
>> and has some other caching weaknesses.
>>
>>> A successful response to GET is a representation of the target
>>> resource. Range, for example, does not alter the representation;
>>> it simply provides a range of that representation in the payload
>>> of a 206. Conneg doesn't alter the representation either. It
>>> merely selects one of the available representations.
>>>
>>> So, if 2NN is a success to GET, it has to convey a selected
>>> representation of that resource.
>> Really?    Certainly for 200, but why for 2NN?
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#page-51 section 6.3 doesn't say
>> every 2xx has to be like that.
> Every 2NN has to act properly when handled as a 200 by a client or
> intermediary which does not yet support that 2NN special handling.

Can you point me to the part of a spec which says clients should treat
all unknown 2xx codes as if they were 200?     I don't think that's how
unknown 2xx codes are supposed to be handled.

> This means Vary:Prefer, and Prefer headers are mandatory in the server
> used [for the 1.1 implementations] and something like Expires header
> indicating stale content to prevent 1.0 implementations caching the
> special payload.

Yes

>>> Not some other resource, though it is fine for a single
>>> representation to represent multiple resources. 3xx, in contrast,
>>> says the request was not successful but this other thing might be
>>> just as good.
>>>
>>> There is nothing wrong with having a representation of a resource
>>> that is a paged view. The only need is that something in the
>>> representation data or metadata indicates that view, preferably
>>> with prev, this, and next links. CL is a "this" link. The
>>> resource is then partially defined by the fact that it offers
>>> views of the overall state. All 200 responses. No big deal.

>>> There are no lines. There is no need for any.

>>> The server is in control of what it's resources mean. If a
>>> resource is not limited to being an entire book, then it isn't an
>>> entire book. There's no reason to pretend otherwise.
>> LDP wants certain machine interoperability characteristics which
>> are not in standard HTTP, so it's defining a more restrictive class
>> of resources, which are less free to behave as they want.
> I think you missed the point here.
>   The LDP defines how the resource acts, how it acts defines how HTTP
> is used to transfer it.

I don't understand that sentence.   What does the second "it" refer
to?   It looks like "the resource", but of course one doesn't transfer
resources, one transfers representations.

> The more I read of this thread the more I see Range being what you
> really want to do.

Could be.   We'll check on that again.

It's possible we did this design before realizing Range could be used
with units other than bytes.   Do you know of any deployments with
non-byte units?

Is there a way to make Range work with changing resource state? What
happens if you have 100k units, and the client is reading 100 at a time,
and an item gets inserted or deleted near the beginning.   It looks to
me like the client would miss a boundary item or see a duplicated item.
   (We've addressed this in paging by varying the page size when that
happens.)    This seems like it'd be outside of what the folks designing
Range were expecting, and so it wouldn't be properly handled.    Hoping
I'm wrong....

        -- Sandro