Re: h2 frame layout

On 30 August 2014 15:18, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> --------
> In message <
> CACweHNBe5o7_tmTXGqhRBGBAZPoDVJHKToGm7ARee4oqURupfw@mail.gmail.com>
> , Matthew Kerwin writes:
>
> >I'm much less keen on reducing the size of frame_type field, because that
> >would limit my ability to play with my toys^H^H^H^Hextensions[2][3].
>
> There's a word for protocols which need 256 frame types:  "Wrong".

It only *needs* the ten or so it has. I'll rephrase: I'm much less keen on
reducing the size of frame_type field to 4 bits; I don't believe we need
256 types, but 16 is too restrictive, and personally I don't want to go
introducing a non-nibble-aligned chunk into the header without good cause.
Thus, I round up to 8 bits, instead of down to 4.

Either way, I prefer something like option B > current spec > option A; but
they're all livable.

--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/