Re: HTTP2 Stream timeouts?

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:07:07 +1000
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 8 August 2014 03:28, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> No way anyone would do that...
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-webpush-http2-00

How creative :)

So I thought about this a bit more and I don't think such schemes are as
vulnerable to unknown timeouts as HTTP/1 long polling.  The problem with
long held HTTP/1 long polls is that sometimes when intermediaries timeout a
connection they just go dark - never send a FIN or RST and the client ends
waiting forever for a response that will never come.

With a long h2 stream, it can't silently go away (unless the whole
connection does), so I'm now thinking that we don't really need to clarify
this significantly.   If the client receives a 4xx response or a reset
stream, it will know the long held stream is over and initiate a new one if
it wishes to remain connected to the push channel.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>