Re: Static Table Entries

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 14:04:03 -0700
To: "Simpson, Robby (GE Energy Management)" <robby.simpson@ge.com>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 8 August 2014 13:17, Simpson, Robby (GE Energy Management)
<robby.simpson@ge.com> wrote:
> What kind of data would you be looking for there?  Search times?

Actually, I imagine that searching will be basically the same no
matter how you distribute the entries.  But if you recall, we used to
have static tables at the end, so having common values appear early in
the table would have been a real compression gain. Smaller values
avoid needing extra bytes to encode the index.  This is still a small
thing, but only for the first 14 entries.