Re: legality of Transfer-Encoding: chunked bodies in HTTP/2

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 00:27:00 +1000
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 6 August 2014 23:56, Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com> wrote:

> The ability to simply encapsulate the body rather than transforming it is
> less work for the intermediary.

But by sending the http1 chunked body over http2 does not avoid the need to
transform it.  Somebody has to unchunk it and I'd really rather it not be
the server.  Now one might argue that those lazy browsers have heaps of
available CPU, but I really don't think exporting data transform duty in
either direction is a good idea.

Besides, if it is an intermediary and not the source of the data, it has to
parse the chunks anyway so it can identify the http1 end of message.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>