Re: HPACK opcode bit patterns

From: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 08:12:09 -0400
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com>
David,

On Aug 6, 2014, at 6:58 AM, David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, an implementation can treat “without indexing” as “never indexed” and use a common code path, since the encodings are identical modulo a don’t-care bit. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was deliberate.

That's the approach I am taking, and frankly I wouldn't cry if we just did away with the semantic difference and just had "never indexed".  While I don't think the extra bit will make a huge difference in compression ratio, it would simplify all implementations and it puts the onus of efficient encoding on the sender (vs. intermediaries like proxies).