Re: legality of Transfer-Encoding: chunked bodies in HTTP/2

On 6 August 2014 07:00, Osama Mazahir <OSAMAM@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Windows machines are going to end up output chunked responses
> (well...technically anything built on top of the Windows HTTP networking
> components).

Wow, didn't know that they delegated chunking generation to the
application!

>  We cannot rewrite all the Windows applications to avoid chunking and
> having some magical translation layer

Well there has to be some layer to at least do the h2 framing.... be it
magical or otherwise :)

> doing unbounded buffering to convert into Content-Length prefixed form is
> bad.

Content-Length is not necessary.

>  Stripping the chunk boundaries when encapsulating into DATA frames
> requires a reparser in the data send path,

I don't think this is too onerous.  If Windows insists on generating the
chunk boundaries, then something has to eventually parse them.       Not
parsing them out in the sender is just shifting the burden of the strange
technical choice of Windows HTTP networking components to the receiver.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>