Re: Header Parsing Profile

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 04:54:46PM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> In Toronto, we briefly discussed an idea that came up earlier on the list --
> creating a specification for error handling when parsing HTTP headers.
>
> This would be an optional profile; implementations or applications that
> choose to use it can do so, but its use would not be mandated.

I think it can make the general culture more aware of header formats.
Most of the ugliness we see in field comes from people who think they
know so they don't need to check specs, and making more people aware
of general principles around header parsing could actually improve
this situation.

> There seemed to be support and interest in work in this area. However, we
> need to gather more information, I think.
>
> So, I've started a wiki page to gather possible areas of work here:
>   https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/wiki/HeaderParsing
>
> Please contribute.

I hope to find some time to contribute as I think it's useful and needed.

Thanks,
Willy