Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-latest, 8.1.2.1 Request Header Fields | Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-latest, 8.1.2.1 Request Header Fields | Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-latest, 5.5 Extending HTTP/2

Julian,

I don't know, but RFC 2817 is pretty explicit about how to do a mandatory upgrade that applies to the connection and not to a particular resource:

   3.2 Mandatory Upgrade

   If an unsecured response would be unacceptable, a client MUST send an
   OPTIONS request first to complete the switch to TLS/1.0 (if
   possible).

       OPTIONS * HTTP/1.1
       Host: example.bank.com
       Upgrade: TLS/1.0
       Connection: Upgrade

I think that's the crux - "*" has a different semantic than "/", and in HTTP/1.x you can't pass an empty path on the request line.