Re: consensus on :query ?

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 06:18:46 +0000
To: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>
cc: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <CACweHNC9rP3i=-VxRJQkHPLjkXnjbbqMAoF8TpSWnMobrC-TdQ@mail.gmail.com>
, Matthew Kerwin writes:

>I could see some interest in splitting the path into either a single "*" or
>a list of segments (removing "%2F" from the path string), but for one how
>many URLs have %2F in the path? And for two the rules in RFC 3986 and a
>couple of decades of experience already have that covered, I think.
>
>I guess you could split the authority into userinfo/host/port if you were
>desperate for such a thing.

Uhmm, lets not go overboard here, please ?

I'm proposing splitting :query for :path, because it is a well known
distinction which through its established use-pattern gives us a
handy way to improve compression significantly in common scenarios.

We already split the HTTP URL into it's other major parts, :scheme,
:authority and :path, so splitting out the last major part is not
a big step and involves neither complex text nor introduces a lot
of error handling.